Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Can Vermi-Composting Be Done Only Inside?

Vermi-composting is not limited to inside the dwelling; I have a vermicomposter tower on my east-facing balcony.
If you have access to ground-level, I'd recommend you build an outdoor composter (I can give you instructions for making a composter bin out of interlocking scrap timber, which (bin) won't fall apart). An outdoor composter is going to accept yard scraps as well as kitchen scraps, and can generally be a larger unit.
That said, we live in Toronto (Brrrr!) so an outdoor composter can turn into a frozen pile of kitchen scraps in a short time. Enter the vermicomposter.
Your vermicomposter is suitable for kitchen-volume scraps, and can accept meat products but does not have to be in the kitchen. I have used a tower composter in the laundry closet of a condominium apartment.

No comments: